Thursday, December 1, 2011

Roots

    I spent the first seven years of my life on the Shafter Cotton Research Station.  My Dad's first spoken word was "tractor".  My grandfather grew up on a farm in Rio Bravo with two work horses named Jack and Dan who pulled the cultivator.  My great-grandfather Pete grew cotton and alfalfa.  My great-great grandfather Jake moved from Oklahoma to Kansas to California and farmed the land in each place.  I am descended from generations of people who worked the land, and I am proud of it and feel connected to this land and my food because of it.
    This year the cotton is coming off late in Shafter and I was happy to get to see it.  I even ran into the owner of this particular field while I was out picking dried cotton boles and when I rattled off my genealogy we discovered that he used to ride the bus with my grandma Judy.  
    Farming is becoming more and more of a big business and less and less of a family oriented task.  It makes me sad, but in my own generation not a single one of my grandfather Walter's grandchildren is involved in farming (besides the backyard variety).  I don't know what, if anything, I should or can do about that.  But it seems wrong to me. A break in tradition. Losing a bit of where we've come from.  Where will we go with no roots to feed us?
 





No comments:

Post a Comment