Friday, July 6, 2012

"This is the Best!"

He shouted, "Woo-hoooooooo!!" as he cruised off the driveway for the very first time, with no training wheels.  The hose in my hand ran forgotten into the flowers beside the garage as I watched my firstborn son ride a bike.  There's a saying, "It's like riding a bike, you never forget how".  Luke is going to learn what that means for himself.  He's going to go places and do things that I have no control over.  He's going to learn how to balance his life, the way he has learned to balance his bike.  He's going to grow up and take to things, and discover what he's passionate about, what God made him for.  My baby boy, who I so impatiently waited for to speak his first word, is conquering obstacles far and away beyond language skills: he's feeling his way through the mysteries of things as complex as gravity, and as simple as riding a bike.  He's doing it.  All by himself.  He's growing up so incredibly fast, learning so enormously much, and soon he won't need me to buy him clothes or anticipate his snotty nose or bribe him to poop on the toilet.  Suddenly I wake up from my reverie, the flowerbed overflowing, and Luke, doing his very first big boy loop of the bay shouts back to me and his Dad, "This is the BEST!" and there are tears on my cheeks.



1 comment: