Thursday, March 3, 2011

Seeing God

32 weeks
People talk about "I felt God was telling me", and "It was a God thing", and they speak about ways that God has blessed them.  I am really uncomfortable with language like this...Christian-ese, it can be called.  It falls into this category of pop-culture Christianity that I have little or no respect for.  The problem for me arises when I hear someone use these phrases and I automatically turn my ears off.  I too quickly give up on the conversation, the sermon, the person sharing their testimony and think, "This is one of those things I won't relate to".

Derek and I were talking about this the other evening.  I feel skeptical of the authenticity of any story that uses what seems to me too-easy language to talk about God, our relationship with him.  I feel like in my own life that relationship is much harder than, "It was a God thing".  I struggle to hear and see God.  But what I want to learn is to try to understand what people feel when they talk this way.  I want to learn to relate to people who use a different vocabulary than I do, even if it makes me uncomfortable.  I still don't always want to be associated with people who call themselves Christians.  But I need to be a better listener.  And, more importantly I think, I need to try to see the Holy Spirit working in the world in ways that I might not automatically assume He would (ie: God blessed me with finding cheap gas today.  God blessed me with a really good night's sleep).  I tend to think of God as more hands-off.   But if I believe Satan is working in the world, it follows God would have a hand in things too, right?

I just get hung up on phrases like, "God answered our prayers".  Well, okay.  But if God answered your prayer and healed your sister/brother/mother, how come he didn't answer my prayer and heal my aunt or allow me to conceive?  Is that God withholding his blessing from me?  Or is it Satan winning a skirmish in this epic spiritual battle?  How can I hold in tension the idea of a God who wants only good things for me, and a God who allows death and broken relationships?  I suppose partly it's the idea of Christ's victory, "already but not yet".  We live in a strange middle place where we know God has power, and is working for His purposes, but His ultimate purpose hasn't yet been fulfilled and so brokenness still exists in the world.

I am really rambling here.

All this to say that although I struggle with how exactly to phrase it so as not to alienate people who feel as awkward as I do with Christianese, I see God at work in the world.

And I see his handiwork in my womb.

And I rejoice each time I feel this child stretch, or get the hiccups, or jump on my bladder.  Not just because I love the baby, but because I know this baby is an answer to prayer and not just a coincidence or an accident or even simply/scientifically because an egg and a sperm met.  This baby is with us because of the work of the Holy Spirit.   Thanks be to God.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts. I think that perhaps this method of communication about God (Christianese) simply results from not knowing how to communicate deeper personal things and it ends up sounding shallow and meaningless. People generally have a difficult time communicating about stuff like spirituality, emotions and relationships (they aren't solid facts or opinions such as, "I like toast" or "It's sunny today.")... so, I don't think the Christianese "phenomena" applies solely to how Christians speak of God. We don't know how to say those things, but I think many of us want to and so we try. Maybe this is why so many of us have favorite authors and poets - those people know how to say stuff the way we want to say, but we can't seem to come up with the right words.

    Maybe it would work well to learn how to ask the right questions that draw out a person's thoughts beyond and behind "It's a God-thing." I'd really like to know what those questions are. =)

    love,
    Katie

    P.S. Thanks be to God, indeed. I'm so happy for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had another thought in regards to how we speak of God as Christians (your post was quite thought provoking!).

    In the Old Testament God told the people of Israel to teach their children all that the Lord had done for them (how God led them out of Egypt, etc.). The people were told to speak of the Lord to their children all the time... "when you sit, when you rise..." I wonder if we don't know how to talk about God because our parents didn't example or teach us how?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind your "ramblings". In fact, this is a post I quite enjoyed because of your honesty of what's going on in your head.

    Yeah, sometimes those catch phrases are flung around like nobody gives them a second thought. What does it really mean when you say that? That's what I'd like to ask.

    So yes, listen, and then ask, even if it makes you uncomfortable. Because I guarantee, it'll make the other person feel uncomfortable for a moment to be questioned - and then grateful for the opportunity to have a deeper conversation about faith.

    P.S. I love baby muffin and think they are quite the work of God....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can relate to feeling uncomfortable with that kind of language.
    i think at it's most extreme i feel like you do: awkward and i just shut off.

    and i guess some people do go overboard and blab about how god saved their loved one from death like they prayed harder or they deserved that blessing more than someone else. i don't think necessarily god saved them and not another person, cuz i know a lot of rotten people who should've died already given their choices and they haven't. i don't know if god is "keeping them alive to show god's glory."

    i think a more modest rational person like yourself can safely say that you see god's work in your life. and i don't think you sound off your rocker. lol.

    i guess we can only really share our personal experiences of our relationship with god.

    i personally think that god lives in our lives within situations but doesn't try to control situations. if we all look back on our lives we can see moments that seem like there has been divine intervention. for myself, i attribute those successes to god as thanks for caring about me, as opposed to denying god or not being thankful. but not that i'm more loved than another person. i believe when we live and love in a way that is good and kind and sustainable it shows we care about god and i think god appreciates that and shows us that love, kindness and sustainability in return, within our situations and lives. i also don't think that if someone is "more blessed than me" that god loves them more. i don't think that's how it works necessarily. and sometimes people who talk in that strange way come across like that. there are also just as many negative experiences that i could complain that god didn't fix or prevent. well sometimes i complain to god about that... lol! but i complain a lot. lol.

    i am happy that you see your baby as a gift and work of the holy spirit. i believe my baby is too. not that god doesn't work in other babies who may have not had the chance to be born or who are born with challenges. just that i know in my heart xahra isn't a run of the mill pregnancy and birth. i don't take her for granted and work very hard for her to have the best i can give. her story is one we give thanks to god for, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say we need to talk. I have the same feelings about these phrases, but I have to say that I use them because I almost don't know how to explain things that have happened. And I truly feel God's hand in so many big things in my life.

    ReplyDelete